10.14.2009

B. "The Boss" Gillings

August 2008, one year ago, the production company Straight Muzik was founded by the one and only….Brice “The Boss” Gillings. With 3mixtapes currently under his belt and 2more on the way (before the year is over) I wanted to get to know the man behind the muzik. Sooooo, let’s do it! Lol

Sitting, talking and eating (my favorite ;]) questions and answers go back and fourth across the table, information filling the room, I finally know the history of a soon to be empire :)

CEO, manager and producer extradonaire, B.Gillings, a 22year old EDUCATED, SINGLE, BLACK man from Mount Vernon possessing a laid back, sweet, all about his business, loves his work type of personality is looking to bring real music back to hip hop and POSSIBLY other genres of muzik oneday. He fell in love with muzik (his first love) at the age of 13 while singing in his church choir (I know, how cute right?) eventually moving on to rapping…realizing in 2008 that he didn’t have the same passion for rhyming as he does for producing…Straight Muzik was created. The team consists of…

Black Majik (Business partner and in house producer)
Ari (Publicist)
J (CFA; chief financial advisor)
Code (Head of promotions)
Dj Caoz (shout out to his team… Club KIllaz :D)

And the artists who keep it all going….

*Dabbz “The Fixx” out already , “Coldest Winter Ever” dropping December 25th (Christmas)
*Showoff “Welcome to the Show” dropping November 24th (Thanksgiving)
*Loose Canonz “History in the Making” out already, show coming up soon
*ChrisBlack “Everybody Hates Chris” out already, performance October 25th at the Blue Villa in the BX
*Kayos currently working on some things
*Heather Jane featured on Loose Canonz song “Deeper”

Now back to the big boss lol…..

Riding in the car to the CheeseCake Factory (I must say it was yummy) his rapping skills come up in conversation… so naturally, I ask to hear a little something

He opens his mouth and says….after 5minutes….and me saying “well?”….
“Oh you think I’ma rap? Get the fuck out of here, Im not gone rap” LMAO

I had never, in my life, had anyone talk to me or say anything like that EVER. But I must say…it was one of the funniest things I had heard all night (courtesy of “Dame Dash NOW presents The Dream Team )

Still that wasn’t good enough for me I wanted to know more… and more… and more… and yes you guessed it right… even more J lol

So I ask about one of the most embarrassing times in most people’s lives….HIGH SCHOOL. Lol

Im sure youre wondering what I found out…. So let me warn you now
I don’t have the juicy, embarrassing stories we all try to forget and never share ( I think you were holding back Mr. Gillings ;])

What I do have is the vision in my mind of a tall, chocolate young man that’s just a tad bit on the weird side, wearing sweat pants ALL year round up until the 11th grade with short braids lol. I know it sounds a little funny when you picture it but I can say this….He has come a loooooong way from THAT look.

One thing I found VERY interesting about “The Boss” was that he isn’t looking to push just one of his artists. He wants to push all of Straight Muzik! (Everyone has to eat right?)

So, not only does he manage, produce and is the CEO of his own production company….Mr. Gillings, as I like to call him, also dabbles in playing the trumpet and a little piano. Now ladies, how could you not be interested in ALL this? Lol, well with exception to the high school years ;P

MY closing note:
I asked Mr. Gillings a few questions for this interview, none of which really stood out to me except these last two as I was writing this blog. I guess because the answers were sincere, relatable and I think they are all something that young men and women aspiring to be in his shoes can def. understand… so for the last time…. LETS DO IT!

Smilez: How far do you want to take this?

The Boss: As far as I possibly can. This is my love. I DO THIS!!!! (lol)

Smilez: Who are you now compared to who you were before you started Straight Muzik

The Boss: Don Dada lol. This is something I knew I wanted to do. I’m a man with a mission. I see my plan and now I have to execute it.

1 comment: